Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing
|VAT / Margin
- Recently fully examined with structural analysis of vehicle components using radiographic testing/magneto-optical examination and material analysis
- One of the most original examples on the market
- Very extensively documented "matching numbers Gullwing"
Import & Export
We can assist in cars purchased from the US and arrange transportation. We'll take care of all necessary papers. Please contact us for further information.
About this car:
• 2 owners until 2020: 1955-1974, 1974-2020, 46 years with the last owner
• Original leather, mostly (95%) first paint, excellent body and chassis, no rust or damage
• Mechanics completely overhauled with invoices totaling $70,000 from a reputable source
• All work done in 2018/2019 and completed in 2020
• All belly pans included
• All numbers matching with all original tags in the car
• Simply a fantastic original car, very rare
• All panels are tight and in good condition
• Original Rudge Wheels (valued at €80,000)
This 1955 300 SL Gullwing has been in the possession of the same owner from 1974 until 2020 and still preserves 95% of its original paint. It is one of only two ever painted by the factory in Dunkelgrau (DB164). The Rudge knock-off wheels were added in the 1970s using factory parts (date-coded). During that time, the aftermarket Rudge wheel industry had not yet emerged.
Originally ordered by comedian Mort Soul, he decided not to take delivery because his wife found it challenging to get in and out while wearing a dress. Instead, it was sold new to Mercedes-Benz factory mechanic Frank Delacroix in 1955, who eventually sold it to the previous owner Richard Rubin in 1974 who kept the car until 2020.
The current owner bought it in 2021 and had the car recently extensively served by top quality companies in The Netherlands.
A unique chance to buy such an original 300 SL Gullwing with such a fascinating history